ENVIRONMENTAL SITE ASSESSMENT (ESA 1 and 2)
A variety of actions can cause a Phase 1 study to be performed for a commercial property, the most common being:
- Purchase of real property by a person or entity not previously on title
- Contemplation by a new lender to provide a loan on the subject real estate
- Partnership buyout or principal redistribution of ownership
- Application to a public agency for change of use or other discretionary land use permit
- Existing property owner’s desire to understand toxic history of the property
- Compulsion by a regulatory agency who suspects toxic conditions on the site
- Divestiture of properties
In the event it an ESA Phase 1 indicates there are hazardous materials then an ESA Phase 2 may be conducted. The phase 2 involves sampling and laboratory analysis to confirm presence of hazardous materials. The results of the ESA 2 will outline any future course of action if needed.
Hawaii Inspection Group recommends that any commercial property that changes hands should have an ESA 1 and depending on the ESA 1 findings, it may require an ESA 2. Our Industrial Hygienist, also licensed by the State of Hawaii as a Chemical Engineer, is qualified to conduct both ESA Phase 1 and Phase 2 assessments following the ASTM and AAI standards.
CONTACT US via email or call 879-6000 to schedule an appointment.